Monday, November 3, 2008

Ode to Maci and Kristy... old running buddies!

Since the weather has been so wonderful and I deperately need to try and get back into some shape I decided to go for a run yesterday afternoon. I was great. I was by myself and happily ran through the neighborhood jamming to my favorite tunes. I was about half way through my run when I began a small trip down memory lane. Most of you remember that about two months before I got pregnant with Allyn me and Kristy Masterson ran in the Thanksgiving Day Half Marathon. I started to think about how completely insane we were. If it was 19 degrees we were running, if it was pouring down rain we were running, if was a heat advisory and no one should be doing physical activity we were running, if we had strep throat we were running. Who is that crazy? We were so decidicated. We would get up on Saturday morning before the sun was even up and embark on our 13 mile trek around Suwanee.

As I was struggling to even complete thirty minutes of continuous running, I could not believe that we could run for a continous two hours and really not feel so bad when we were done. Granted we spent our fair share in ice baths after our runs and went throw several boxes of band-aids to cover our blisters... but isn't that what running is all about?

Running is fun, but I do not think I ever want to be that crazy again! On the final stretch of my run yesterday, I had a small memorial service in my head for the old Maci and Kristy running team... may we never be that insane again!!!

Kristy is such a dear and wonderful friend of mine and it is funny how we both look back at that time and just laugh. We laugh at how we even did it and how it completely consumed our lives. I think we will both just stick to the light jog around the park on warm sunny days!

Love you Kristy!!

1 comment:

kristymasterson said...

I love you too. I too have had little memorials lately as I have picked up my jogging. I vividly remember the mornings in our favorite neighborhood, our withholding gatorade till we were "eating it," and our many many funny conversations. And 30 minutes still sounds long to me...right now.
Miss those days.

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Elie Lash